My-PEMANTAUAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 130 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:52 am
Latest topics
» Mesyuarat Agung KSH JPS Kudat 2015-2017
by Lawrence Dexter Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:15 am

» Majlis Persaraan En. Guati Sator
by ME Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:27 am

» Mesy KSH 1/2014 (14/2/2014)
by ME Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:33 pm

» Menawan Puncak Kinabalu - Aktiviti Tahunan KSH JPS KK dengan Kerjasama Taman-Taman Sabah Pada 24-25/11/2013
by ME Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:15 pm

» Beautiful Sayap(Pt.1)
by zaffin Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:04 am

» Terimakasih
by ME Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 am

» KSH KOTA KINABALU - AGM dan pemilihan sesi 2013-2015
by ME Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:59 am

» Mesyuarat Jawatankuasa Keselamatan dan Kesihatan Pekerjaan (JKKP) Bil 2/2013, JPS Sabah
by Francis Jinir Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:24 am

» Jemputan Menghadiri Mesyuarat Agung Tahunan & Hari Keluarga KSH JPS Sabah 2013
by Francis Jinir Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:57 pm

» PageTweak -install utk halang iklan2
by ME Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 pm

» Lab Pemantapan Pelaksanaan Keselamatan dan Kesihatan Pekerjaan JPS Malaysia (sesi 2)
by Francis Jinir Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 am

» KSH JPS KUDAT
by Lawrence Dexter Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:27 am

» Bowling Piala Pengarah 2013
by ME Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 am

» Pengumuman... JIKA ANDA STAF JPS
by ME Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:27 am

» Blood Pressure Monitor
by ME Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:02 pm

PMP Ikon

Only two firms in Sabah have OSH certification: Lee

Go down

Only two firms in Sabah have OSH certification: Lee Empty Only two firms in Sabah have OSH certification: Lee

Post by ME Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 pm

DAILY EXPRESS

Only two firms in Sabah have OSH certification: Lee

Published on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kota Kinabalu: Few companies in Sabah have sought the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Malaysia certification to ensure high safety standards in the workplace.

National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (Niosh) Chairman, Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye said under the OSH Malaysia Masterplan (2010-2015) 500 companies are supposed to be certified by 2015.

So far, Niosh Certification Sdn Bhd (NCSB), which is a subsidiary company of Niosh entrusted with facilitating the certification process has only certified two companies in Sabah.

Speaking at the Media Appreciation Luncheon at Pacific Sutera here Monday, Lee said less than 200 companies have acquired the certification throughout the country.

"I believe there are many companies which need to be certified," he said, adding that while it was not mandatory it should be the responsibility of the management of the companies concerned to get the certification.

Established in 2004, NCSB offers certification services such as the Occupation Health and Safety Management System (MS 1722 and OHSAS 18001), Environmental Management System (ISO 14001), Quality Management System (ISO 9001) and Food Safety Management System (ISO 22000).

This year, NCSB would be holding courses for Occupational Health and Safety Management System Standard Audit Chief and Internal Audit in Sabah.

"If there are companies in Sabah interested to be certified they can contact Niosh and we will help to get the Malaysian Standard (MS) certification," he said.

The certification is valid for three years after which the companies concerned would have to go for re-certification.

Lee believed the OSH aspects would become more important in Sabah with the booming industrialisation process in Sabah, evident from newspaper reports that projects worth RM10 billion would be implemented by Petronas in the State this year.

"With more job opportunities available there would be more accident in workplace risks for the workers if understanding on the management of occupational safety and health is not handled properly by the employers," he said.

In this respect, Lee said Niosh not only offers training but also consultant services, disseminating information as well as conducting research in the OSH.

"Once again I want to stress that Niosh is prepared to collaborate with any quarters to boost levels of awareness on the importance of occupational safety and health, which in the end will improve company productivity and profits," he said.

Lee also announced that Niosh is organising the Third Borneo Conference and Exhibition on Occupational Safety and Health 2013 (BOSH) with the theme "A Global Strategy: Optimising Productivity Through Accident Prevention" in Sabah this year.

The biennial conference would be held at Magellan Sutera from June 16 to 18.

Sabah and Sarawak take turns to hold the conference with Kota Kinabalu hosting the inaugural event in 2009 that saw 200 participants, while in 2011 about 400 took part in Kuching.

For this year, Lee said they targetted at least 500 people to take part in the conference.

"We would like to invite organisations not only from Malaysia but other countries as well to attend the international-standard convention and exhibition as participants, exhibitors or speakers," he said.

On another note, Lee also said that Niosh Sabah and Labuan had scheduled 18 Safety and Health Officer (SHO) courses this year.

For this year, he said Niosh would be introducing a new learning mode for the course namely the Modular, which allows the participant to go for the 22-day course without having to take long leave.

The Modular Mode only requires the participant to attend the course for between five and six days every month according to the specified module.

Last year, the SHO course was conducted in two modes that is full time and part-time for 22 days.

As Niosh Sabah had set a target of 500 participants for the course, it had increased its training centres in the State by expanding to Sandakan, Tawau and also Lahad Datu in addition to the existing ones in Labuan and here.

Lee said five new courses would also be introduced this year namely the OSH and Environmental Management, Monitoring of Chemical Hazardous to Health, Safe Working in Hydrogen Sulfide Environment, OSH Basic Water Safety and Back Protection Programme.

He also expressed appreciation to the media in Sabah for its continuous support to Niosh's activities over the years, which had contributed to the increasing awareness on the OSH among the people in general and in particular employers and employees.

Also on hand were Niosh Sabah and Labuan Manager, Mohd Hussin Abd Salam and Niosh Certification Sdn Bhd General Manager, Shamsul Zahrin Zainudin.

During lunch, Lee was given a pleasant surprise when Sutera Harbour presented him with a birthday cake to celebrate his 66th birthday.
ME
ME

Back to top Go down